The Reno-Tahoe Young Professionals Network is thrilled to have the opportunity to highlight Ronald McDonald House Charities Northern Nevada, a non-profit dedicated to creating and supporting programs that directly improve the health, education, and well-being of children and families.
1. Tell us about the work Ronald McDonald House Charities does?
RMHCNN supports families whose children are receiving treatment or are admitted into the hospital with meals, laundry, and overnight stays at the House.
2. How did this organization come about?
- Ronald McDonald House Charities came about in 1974. An NFL player spent 3 years sleeping in hospital chairs and eating out of vending machines while his daughter received treatment for leukemia. During that time, he watched other parents do the exact same thing, some of which traveled many miles to get to the hospital and could not afford a hotel room. He started the House with the support of a regional McDonald’s manager. Ronald McDonald House Charities Northern Nevada began in 1984 with a few but mighty dedicated volunteers. The House opened in 1987, with the board members taking turns sleeping over so the House could be open 24/7 365 to all the families that needed our support.
3. How has this organization grown or changed over time?
The House has grown from 12 rooms to 13 including a Clean Room and an ADA room. We now have a Travel for Treatment program, a Family Room in Renown hospital, and a scholarship program.
4. What are your current goals?
Our current goals are to continue to support the families of Northern Nevada through the pandemic with meals, laundry service, and hotel stays (until it is safe to communally stay in the House again).
5. What can the local community or YPN members do to help your nonprofit?
We would love community support through donations at https://www.rmhc-reno.org/.
6. Tell us about volunteer opportunities with your organization.
When the outbreak of COVID cases gets more under control in Washoe County, the Ronald McDonald House Northern Nevada needs volunteers to cook meals, help with administrative duties, and volunteer in the Family Room inside Renown.
7. What is your biggest need (in addition to funds)?
Active committee members, prepackaged snacks, drinks (coffee and juices), toiletries including feminine hygiene products, gift cards to restaurants, and prepacked meals.
8. What makes your organization unique?
We are the only organization that provides low to no cost stays for families whose children need hospital stays or treatments
9. How have you and your organization had to pivot or change to accommodate the COVID-19 situation/parameters?
RMHCNN is currently providing hotel stay for the families we serve. This is a safer and more accommodating alternative to stays in the RMHCNN House during the time of the pandemic. We hope to not only welcome families back into the House in early 2021, but we will have a freshly remodeled and updated House to show them as well.
10. Where can we follow you or stay up-to-date?
RONALD MCDONALD HOUSE CHARITIES NORTHERN NEVADA
323 MAINE STREET, RENO NEVADA 89502