Yesterday, Reno Tahoe Young Professionals Network had the opportunity to get to know Chris Baum, CEO & President of the Reno Sparks Convention and Visitors Authority and to receive some career advice.
Here are a few of the items he pointed out to our young professionals:
- Be the best you can be
- Take the high road
- Don’t react to extremes
- Care, but don’t care too much, business is business
- When appropriate, be aggressive
- Keep your mouth shut when you are being provoked, don’t lose your cool
- Don’t be so focused on moving up, enjoy the job you are in. Money and titles aren’t everything but job satisfaction is important.
- Do fewer more important things better, big impact things are what are going to make a difference
- Look for ways to set yourself apart
- Establish work/life balance
- Surround yourself with great talent, you will benefit from having great people around you
- Have the confidence to know that if someone wants your job, you hired the right person
- Make sure the people around you are not clones of yourself, let their personality shine through