Meet Reno-Tahoe YPN member Allison Strekal.
Allison is a Development Specialist for The Renown Health Foundation.
1. How long have you been in the area? I moved to Reno in 2006 from Winnemucca to attend the University of Nevada. After graduating with a Journalism degree in 2010, I went to work for the Reno Bighorns. I was with the team for five years and served in a variety of roles, including President of Business Operations. After leaving the Bighorns, I went to work as the Sales Director at Red Carpet Events and Design, where I put on large scale events, from corporate parties to destination weddings. I have been with the Renown Health Foundation since June 2017. As a Development Specialist with the Foundation, I am in charge of all the events we host, from our annual gala of 600 people to cultivation events and hospital tours.
2. What do you love about your business? I love that the company I work for and my role in that company makes a genuine difference in the health and well-being of the people and communities we serve. In my position at the Renown Health Foundation, I am able to introduce new people and donors to all the amazing programs Renown has to offer and raise much needed funds. Philanthropy allows us to keep our community healthier with programs, service and technology we could not otherwise provide.
3. If I weren’t at work right now, I’d be….I would be out on an adventure with my husband, Edan. Going for a hike, going to a local brewery, a movie or taking a drive somewhere, we love to get out and explore!
4. To me, networking is about…. Networking is about making real connections with people and learning something new – about a person, an industry or an issue. To me, it’s about building professional relationships that can last your entire career.
5. For renewing members- What do you get out of being a member of YPN? I love going to YPN events because I always know that I am going to meet someone new, usually in an industry or business that I’m not familiar with. My favorite part is learning new things about other young professionals in the area and all the amazing things everyone is doing!
6. As young professionals in the area, we could enhance the community by … Continuing to give back! Creating a culture of philanthropy is critically important to overall health and well-being of this community. YPN plays a huge role in that!
7. Aside from necessities, what one thing could you not go a day without? My journal! I take time each evening to reflect on the day and write down goals for the next day. It helps my unwind at night, as well as keep me on track personally and professionally!